2019/2020 Student Registration
Step 1: Parents Complete Online Registration
Step 2: Parents will register their student(s) in-person at designated school during the registration times below:
East Central Attendance Center St. Martin Attendance Center Vancleave Attendance Center
Returning Students Returning and New Students Returning and New Students
July 18 10AM-6PM July 16 10AM-6PM July 16 10AM-6PM
July 19 & 22 8AM-2:30PM July 17 & 18 8AM-3PM July 17 & 18 8AM-3PM
July 25 & 26 By Appointment Only
Compulsory School Age Attendance: If a compulsory-school-aged child has not been enrolled in the school which the child is eligible to attend within fifteen (15) calendar days after the first day of the school year, the school district shall report within two (2) school days or within five (5) calendar days, whichever is less, such absences to the school attendance officer.
Compulsory School Age Child: A child who has attained or will attain the age of six (6) years on or before September 1 of the calendar year and who has not attained the age of seventeen (17) years on or before the September 1 calendar year.
Age of Entrance: To enter kindergarten, the student must be five (5) on or before September 1st. To enter first grade, the student must be (six) 6 on or before September 1st.
Students will not be enrolled until the following requirements have been met:
1. Students will be enrolled in the Jackson County School District only if they are residing with their legal guardian and said guardian resides within the Jackson County School District. “The district will not recognize or accept guardianship papers for health and school purposes only. Partial guardianship of a student by a resident within the district will not be recognized as meeting full legal guardianship.” (Policy JBC)
2. Birth Certificate: According to State Law, an original or certified copy of a birth certificate is required upon registration. This certificate must be examined and recorded on school records before any student may be officially enrolled in school. Each student must have this information on file prior to the first day of school.
3. A student shall present a withdrawal form from the school from which he/she is transferring (to include discipline record, grades, and attendance).
4. Proof of Immunization: A certificate of compliance shall be presented to the school when a child initially enters the school upon registration. This certificate shall be issued by the local health officer or physician on forms specified by the Mississippi State Board of Health. Effective August 1, 2007, children entering school for the first time will be required to have two doses of the Varicella Vaccine (chicken pox) or a history of chicken pox. All students entering, advancing, or transferring into 7th grade will need proof of an adolescent whooping cough (pertussis) booster, aka Tdap vaccine, before entry into school in the fall. Tdap vaccine given on or after the 7th birthday meets the new school requirement. a. If a child offers to enroll at a school without having completed the required vaccinations: (1) The local health officer (not school official) may grant a period of time up to 90 days for such completion. No child shall be enrolled without having at least one dose of each specified vaccine. (2) Any child not in compliance at the end of 90 days from the opening of school must be suspended until he/she is in compliance unless the health officer attributes the delay to the lack of supply of the vaccine. b. Exception: Reason must be verified by a duly-licensed physician to the local health officer. The Mississippi Supreme Court has ruled that religious exemptions are not acceptable.
5. A student’s records from his/her school of last attendance must be received within a reasonable period of time. If the records are not received within a reasonable time, the student will be asked to withdraw until the records are received.
6. A student who has been suspended or expelled from another school district may not be allowed to enroll.
7. Students not meeting the residency requirements will be withdrawn from school immediately.
8. Parents shall inform the school immediately of any change of address/telephone number of persons authorized to sign-out students that is different from that listed during registration.
9. At the beginning of school each parent/guardian will fill out and sign the student emergency/service card. In order to register your child, you will need the following:
Two of the documents listed below are required to establish residency:
A) FILED HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION FORMS;
B) MORTGAGE STATEMENT; PROPERTY DEED; (NO PROPERTY TAX DOCUMENTS)
C) APARTMENT OR HOME LEASE;
D) UTILITY BILLS; NO CUTOFF OR DISCONNECT NOTICES WILL BE ACCEPTED AS PER MDE MANDATES; (NO CELL PHONE BILLS; NO CAR/HOME INSURANCE STATEMENTS; NO HUNTING LICENSES; BILL MUST BE CURRENT, WITHIN 30 DAYS OF REGISTRATION)
E) DRIVERS LICENSE OR MISSISSIPPI STATE IDENTIFICATION CARD; (MUST SHOW CURRENT ADDRESS)
F) AUTOMOBILE REGISTRATION; MUST BE CURRENT YEAR’S REGISTRATION, NOT EXPIRED)
Court papers: If one is the legal guardian of the student, he/she must also provide a copy of the court order signed by a judge appointing him/her as guardian. Any changes in custody must be given to the school in the form of a legal document signed by a judge. If a parent/guardian fails to provide the necessary documentation, his/her children will not be allowed to attend schools in the Jackson County School District. No temporary enrollment will be processed.
NOTE: Any legal guardianship formed for the purpose of establishing residency for school district purposes shall not be recognized by the Board. (Legal reference: Mississippi Code Ann. Section 37-15-31, 1989 Supplement.) If a parent or guardian fails to provide the necessary documentation, his/her children will not be allowed to attend schools in the School District. No temporary enrollment will be processed. If the Jackson County School District receives a complaint regarding the residence of a student, the district is required to take action to further verify residence, including but not limited to follow-up visits to the resident's address by school officials. See JCSD School Board Policies JAB and JBC.